Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hope and ugly shirts

Have you ever gone to the store, needing a new shirt, so hopeful about what you expect to find, and bought what appeared to be the perfect one, then got home only to discover that it was the ugliest thing you've ever laid eyes on?  Then you stick it in the closet, and look at it every week or two, hoping against hope that it will magically change into what it was at the store.  Suddenly, years have flown by, and you realize this ugly thing is still in your closet.  But wait!  You now have a skirt that matches it perfectly, and even though the shirt is hideous alone...combine it with that skirt, and you have a fashion miracle!  LOL
Sometimes I feel like my life is that shirt.  Just under a year ago, I was hopeful about the direction my life was taking.  I was preparing to go to the temple and be sealed to my family, I was excited about personal discoveries relating to members of my family, I was new to a calling that I love and that I knew would bring great spiritual growth to me and to my family, and we were hoping that-after almost a year of trying-we would soon be welcoming a new member into our family.  
Now, a year later, I continue to look at that shirt regularly, hoping that somehow, by some miracle, it will become my favorite one.  We have still not made it to the temple.  The things I discovered about said family member are no longer.  The child we so hoped for never did come to us, and we are no longer in a position to expect that child to ever come to us.  The calling, which I dearly love, has sustained me throughout this last difficult year of my life.  Through it, through my service to those I work with in my calling and those I serve, and through serving the Lord, I have learned a great deal, and been given a seemingly endless supply of hope, courage, love, and strength.  There have been many times that it's seemed like I could not continue.  During those times, I have often been able to turn my mind to the work I do, and find the strength and desire to hang on just a little longer, if for no other reason than that those people need me, and the Lord needs me where I am.  
In reflecting on other areas of my life, I continue to hope that somehow the actions I'm taking in my life will help me to grow and be lifted up.  I hope that I see as much change in the coming year as I have in the past one.  I hope that I can be the example I need to be, and that I can see more clearly the answers to my prayers.   I hope I can determine the best direction I need to take now, and in the future
I know that prayers are always answered, even though we may not see it, or like the answer we receive at that time.  It reminds me of a beautiful poem I heard once:

My Life is but a weaving
between my Lord and me;
I cannot choose the colors
He worketh steadily.

Oft times He weaveth sorrow
And I, in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper,
And I the under side.

Not til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver's skillful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.

He knows, He loves, He cares,
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives His very best to those
Who leave the choice with Him.

 Despite all the sorrow I've experience in the last year, I can't help but wonder if this is all necessary in order for me to experience the beautiful completed picture.  Without the hard parts, it just wouldn't be the same.

3 comments:

Rays-R-Us said...

I love you, Jenn. You are a strong woman. Much stronger than you think. Keep hanging on! The Lord will carry you through. I promise.

Amanda said...

What a wonderful post. Do you know how awesome you are? Well you better just remember you are wonderfulamd such a blessing to the rest of us!

Kuks said...

Hang in there, dearie. Your words are very moving.
--LeeAnn