Monday, June 25, 2012

Benjamin Franklin's List of Virtues


Yesterday was the Sunday where the high councilmen spoke (snooze...). But the second talk was actually really great. First of all, I am related to Benjamin Franklin, so my ears perk up anytime I hear something about him. Not that I go out of my way to learn about him, because, well, honestly I'm just too dang lazy.
So anyway, this brother started by talking about how when he was in primary, they were required to learn all 13 Articles of Faith. (To my knowledge it isn't a requirement, per se, but something that is important, and IS required for the children to earn their Faith in God award.) He quoted, almost completely from memory, the 13th Article of Faith. For those of you who don't remember (like me), here it is:

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul, ”We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

He then went on to talk about Benjamin Franklin's List of Virtues. Benjamin Franklin made a list of things he wanted to work on. Originally he had 12 virtues on there, and then a friend of his pointed out that humility was not on his list, and definitely needed to be (don't we all need to work on that one?!). Thus became his 13 virtues. He carried a notebook with him, with each virtue listed on a separate page, and what that virtue meant to him. Each week he focused on a different virtue, repeating the entire list 4 times per year, throughout his life, and kept a chart with him so he could monitor his progress each night. The virtue that he focused on each week, he would make a sincere effort to follow that virtue, leaving the rest to chance. From what I understand, toward the end of his life, he felt he had done a good job of mastering all of these virtues, with the exception of humility.
Here is his list (and yes, I am aware that there are spelling errors. They are the author's own. :) ):
  1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness. Drink not to elevation.
  2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.
  3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.
  4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.
  5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
  6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.
  7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
  8. Justice: Wrong none by doing injuries or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes or habitation.
  11. Tranquillity: Be not disturbed at trifles or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  12. Chastity: Rarely use venery [sex] but for health or offspring-never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  13. Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

I think this is a great life lesson, and I am definitely going to adopt this into my life and my journey for self improvement!
(For anyone who is interested, I did find a good chart, although I will probably create my own, as well as start a notebook. Just scroll down to the link on that page that says Excel Spreadsheet.)

0 comments: